Escarole & Orzo Soup with Turkey Parmesan Meatballs
• 1 large egg
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
• 12 ounces lean ground turkey
• 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 8 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
• 1 cup chopped peeled carrots
• 3/4 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
• 4 cups coarsely chopped escarole (about 1/2 medium head)
1. Whisk egg and 2 tablespoons water in medium bowl to blend. Mix in
breadcrumbs; let stand 5 minutes. Add turkey, Parmesan cheese, parsley,
garlic, salt, and pepper; gently stir to blend. Using wet hands, shape turkey
mixture into 1 1/4-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on baking sheet; cover
and chill 30 minutes.
2. Bring 8 cups chicken broth to boil in large pot. Add carrots and orzo;
reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered 8 minutes. Add turkey
meatballs and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in chopped escarole and simmer until
turkey meatballs, orzo, and escarole are tender, about 5 minutes longer.
Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead.
Rewarm over medium heat, thinning with more broth if desired.)
Ladle soup into bowls and serve.