• 5 to 6 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 12 ounces asstd. mushrooms, wiped clean & thinly
sliced, stems removed and reserved for making stock, if desired
• 2 cups arborio rice
• 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
• 1 cup dry white wine
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 1 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano
• 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
• 1 to 2 teaspoons truffle oil, optional
• 4 ounces San Daniel prosciutto thinly sliced and
cut into chiffonade, garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the stock to a simmer over medium heat.
Reduce the heat to very low to keep hot.
2. In a large heavy saucepan, heat the oil and melt the butter over med-high
heat. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook, stirring soft, about 3 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and cook until wilted and liquid is evaporated,
4 to 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
Stir in the thyme. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until nearly all evaporated.
Add 3/4 cup of the stock, the salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until
the stock is nearly all evaporated. Continue adding more stock 1/2 cup at a
time as the previous addition is nearly absorbed, until the rice is tender and
the risotto is creamy, 18 to 20 minutes. Stir in cream, 1/2 cup of the cheese,
and the parsley and mix well.
3. Remove from the heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste. If desired,
stir in truffle oil to taste. Serve immediately, topping each portion
with a sprinkling of the remaining cheese and ham.