CLASSIC RIGATONI BOLOGNESE
FOR THE MEAT SAUCE:
• 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 2 tablespoons Butter
• 2 medium Onions (finely chopped)
• 4 ribs Celery (finely chopped)
• 2 Carrots (finely chopped)
• 5 Garlic cloves (sliced)
• 1 pound ground Pork
• 1 pound ground Veal
• 4 ounces Pancetta of chopped pancetta • 1; 4 1/2-ounce tube of Tomato Paste
• 1 cup Whole Milk
• 1 cup Dry White Wine
• 1/2 cup Parsley (finely chopped)
FOR THE PASTA:
1 Box of Rigatoni
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
(plus more for garnish)
1 Small tub of marscapone
1. For the Meat Sauce: In a 6- to 8-quart heavy-bottomed pot, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat until melted.
2. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic, season with salt, and cook until the vegetables are translucent but not browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Add the veal, pork, and pancetta, increase the heat to high and brown the meat, stirringfrequently. Cookfor10to15minutes,oruntilthemeatisdarkbrownandthe fat has rendered out completely. There will be a shallow pool of fat in the pan
4. Add the tomato paste and cook it in the fat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the color is rusty orange. Add the milk and cook until almost completely reduced.
5. Add the wine and bring just to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Season the sauce with salt, remove from the heat, and let cool.
6. For the Pasta: To serve, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Cook rigatoni 1 minute short of the packaged instructions. Drain, reserving pasta water for sauce.
7. In a large saute pan heat about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of sauce over medium. Add the cooked rigatoni and about a 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water. Stir to coat pasta.
8. Add 1/2 cup of Parmigiano and 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir until creamy. Toss in the chopped parsley.
9. After plating, add a scoop of marscapone, allow to stand 2 min before serving